[Greyhawkupdates] Day 2

Tim Allen GREYHAWK greyhawk at gmn-usa.com
Sat Jun 4 18:45:21 CDT 2011

Interesting day today, but haven't had time to write it up. And I realized that I never did finish telling you all my stories from Day 1....

Suffice to say that the wind went back NW this morning, 10 - 15 knots good spinnaker run on a sunny flat sea. Really interesting going from 58 degree water to 70 degree water in about 20 minutes as I entered the warm counter clockwise current around the cold core eddy north of the main gulf stream and west of the rhumb line. The water is a really nice color, too, but then you do have to watch out for those Portugese Man-o-War though. I think I am now back in the cooler core water of the eddy (68). This afternoon around 3 the wind came N and started blowing 18-22 knots and the seas built. My autopilot to tiller jury rig is not totally reliable so I ended up heaving to to take down the kite and get everything sorted. Then went off on full main and heavy staysail, did a chicken gybe after going the wrong way for too long, and now have the genoa out. I did a fair bit of hand steering today, but now conditions have moderated somewhat so the autopilot is managing. I'm cutting across the cold-core eddy and hoping to pick up some current aimed directly towards Bermuda in the main Gulf Stream.

Still a long way to go, but we're making progress!

Tim Allen
GREYHAWK
Atlantic Ocean

----
This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone using GMN's XGate software.
Please be kind and keep your replies short.