[Greyhawkupdates] Thanks; and about replies to the list

Tim Allen GREYHAWK greyhawk at thorpeallen.net
Tue May 31 06:40:56 CDT 2011

Jeff, Mom, et al.,

I appreciate the sentiments, really I do, but my intention with this list was that it would be a one-way distribution list (me to you all) rather than a multi-party discussion list. Please understand that the list of subscribers includes media contacts and the race committee chair among others, not just immediate family and close friends.  Also note that when I am on the boat, I will _not_ be receiving any discussion that might be taking place on this list.

The whole goal was to reduce the number of bytes I have to transmit across the sat phone. Consider that 50 e-mail addresses at an average of 25 characters each is over a kilobyte of data. I know we are all spoiled by the modern era of fast and cheap high-bandwidth communications, but a few of you might be able to remember when internet access was by way of 2400-baud dial-up to a long-distance telephone number -- that's what it's like on the boat offshore (only it's even more expensive!).

So again, please just use care in replying to any e-mail from greyhawkupdates, and if you want to get a message to me on the boat, just send a short text to 881622483078 at msg.iridium.com

Regards,

Tim